Pages/Tabs

Shabby Chic - Chevron

3.08.2008

Life is Subjective

If you're a white person looking for a good laugh, or someone who is not white that gets a kick out of satire, check out this blog that I heard about on NPR. Stuff White People Like is a blog dedicated to defining the qualities of a certain subculture of white folks, and I think I am in this category. I find myself laughing at 99% of the posts which reminds me that 1) it's great to be able to laugh at oneself and 2) I'm not so different from others.

Speaking of Nos. 1 and 2, I can add SAIC and UNCG to my rejection list. Now I'm just waiting on UGA...my gut feeling tells me theirs is a "no" as well. While I can laugh a little about these rejections, I can't help but feel somewhat sad and disappointed (in myself or in the schools, I'm not sure). I'd have to say I feel pretty similar to my former co-worker, kitkat who has also blogged about her grad school endeavors. This has been my second go-around applying to graduate schools and being rejected, and it's starting to get old. Last year, I did not feel very confident about my portfolio; my work was not coherent and my statement was muddled. But this year, I felt great about everything. I had a rock solid body of work, a good statement, great letters of rec, a great exhibition record...this is when I want to blah all over the subjectivity of the art world. I resort to questions like, "What am I doing wrong? Is it my work? My statement? My age? Ethnicity? Are my goals out of wack? Should I have not written in my statement that I want to help the community with my masters?"

So, now I am starting to wonder if an MFA is ever going to be in the cards for me. And if it is not, what are my long-term goals? I can't teach college level art with a BFA. What other well-paying jobs can I find in the art field that do not entail a snooty gallery or working part-time at artsy-craftsy summer camps, or working part time at a museum @ minimum wage?

In the meantime, keep my students in your thoughts over the next couple of weeks. They start FCAT tomorrow, and if I'm tired of hearing about how well they MUST DO, I'm sure they've had it.

Happy Monday, folks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that if any of us is supposed to believe in karma, God, or some sense of justice, then you deserve to be accepted somewhere great. I say this because you are confident about your portfolio and what you have to offer. I can't imagine that your confidence is misplaced, so I can only assume that what people are telling me (that something good will happen soon) is what will happen to you. It just has be.

Something similar happened a year and a half ago when I first moved here. Two of my friends and I were depressed because we couldn't find jobs, and then within about a week (with two of us on the same day), we all got the jobs we wanted. Maybe we just need to add one more "reject" to our group, and then we'll all get what we want soon.

Anonymous said...

Cath - Let's see what UGA says. And if they are all "no's" this year, then maybe they will at least provide feedback if you ask. Perhaps you are just supposed to be doing other things right now. I am not sure what and know you are frustrated but also know that there are great things in your path. Maybe kitkat is right: one more negative brings you that much closer to a positive.

You should remain confident in your portfolio, exhibitions and statement and in yourself because you are fabulous - and that means your work has no choice but to be fabulous as well.

p.s. - We could always make you a fake MFA. I know people...

Pete Bauer said...

Remember, every time God says "No" (assuming you asked that His will be done), he has a bigger "Yes" waiting for you.