Pages/Tabs

Shabby Chic - Chevron

10.04.2008

Boys

Yesterday, one of my 4th grade girls (let's call her Jada) came by to see me in the middle of the school day. I'm a little worried because these visits are becoming a habit. It all started2 weeks ago. This is the second year I've been teaching Jada, and I must note that she is one of my best students. I've never had any reason to reprimand her, no even for being too chatty. She had an outburst during class (after being provoked by another student) which involved her throwing a pencil across the room. I was very stern with her, mostly because I was shocked at her behavior, but also because she kept shrugging her shoulders when I'd ask her questions and then say, "I don't care". Grrrrr. Anyways, I kept her after class to discuss things one-on-one and she immediately burst into tears. Through her sobs, she explained that another student wouldn't leave her alone and was always making comments about her.

**Sidenote: Is there some psychological theory out there that explains the retarded-ness of the type of young boys who pick on girls to show affection? I know it all seems childish and simple, but even when I was Jada's age, I thought the whole I-like-you-so-I'm-going-to-make-your-life-miserable affection method was stupid. **

Anyways, we talked through the issue and got to the bottom of her out-of-character behavior. Progress. Since then, Jada has been coming to my room everytime someone is bothering her (hence the habit). When she showed up yesterday, she was wearing a jacket...a classmate's jacket...a boy classmate's jacket.

Oh my goodness, how the memories unfolded. I was immediately sucked back into the days of middle school when if a boy let you wear his sweatshirt or jacket, it meant he really liked you. (Well, that's how it was in my freakishly small private school.) I couldn't help but grin a little at the thought of such silliness. But it was a good silliness. And it intrigues me how seeing one of my girls wearing a boy's jacket triggered that particular memory which I haven't thought about in many, many years.

No comments: