Pages/Tabs

Shabby Chic - Chevron

6.20.2009

Sketches: 06.16-06.20.2009

Here are some sketches from the past few days. Boy am I rusty on depicting the human figure. Yikes. I'll get there.

It feels incredible to be out sketching on site. It reminds me of being in Venice, Italy, sketching in restaurants and piazzas all day. I had forgotten how good it feels to use your sketchbook as a camera to capture an environment, people or no people.

Apologies for the crappy scanning job. And I thought I had cropped out the edges of my sketchbook. I'd also like to thank blogger for taking at least 8 minutes to upload each sketch.


Al's Pizza

Biscotti's


Cool Moose.



I had to get some bloodwork done the other morning. This sketch was done while sitting in the waiting room @ Quest Diagnostics; this was a very small room with about 40 chairs, uncomfortably close, facing a small television at the front of the room. They should have lined the perimeter of the room with chairs, and then put the remaining seats back-to-back in pods in the middle of the room. This is what goes through my head.



Starbucks in Riverside





Starbucks in Riverside






This is the same girl, two times. After the first sketch, I wanted one zoomed in bit more .























Starbucks in Riverside.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your sketches! I wish I could be visually artistic. The one at Biscotti's is my favorite. The 40 chairs facing the TV sounds hella creepy. I hope the blood work went well.

I've been meaning to mention this book to you: http://www.amazon.com/Solutions-Beginning-Lola-Haskins/dp/B001GS0NES/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245552527&sr=8-21

It's a combination of poetry and paintings. And the paintings aren't "illustrations" of the poems; I think each woman wrote/painted separately and then they put them together later. I haven't actually read it yet (frankly, I don't love Lola's poetry, even though I loved meeting her last year at the workshop), but when I have enough poems to make a whole book, I'm calling you for sure. It might be in like 25 years, so don't wait by the phone, though :)

p.s. I got your article & magnets! Response to come...

Anonymous said...

I love seeing your sketches, Cath. Keep them coming... The only reason that waiting room is arranged like that is so they can fit 40 chairs! Sounds like a pretty bad waiting area. It's fun especially to see the sketches in your favorite spots to eat. xoxo!

c.a.b. said...

kitkat-Thanks! I'm glad you like them. So, that book is out of print right now? Blast! It sounds awesome and I'm going to look for it elsewhere. When you do compile your poetry book, do call :) Glad you got your package!!

LB-Thanks, dude. So far, the places I've sketched have been food venues because it's just easy to sit down and order a beverage or something and then get lost in sketching. Ahhh...love it! Miss u.